So, we had an opportunity to show off a new game to some of our pro players in Seattle from a company called WXP (The Whole Experience). These very cool dudes have teamed up with Activision and have created a paintball game that our pro players have definitely given both thumbs up on so far. You will have a chance to see this game in action at MLG LA if you are in attendance. Here is the official press release sent out today:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ACTIVISION VALUE TEAMS
WITH PAINTBALL LEGEND GREG HASTINGSAND WXP
TO CREATE THE ULTIMATE TOURNAMENT PAINTBALL GAME
Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball AVAILABLE IN-STORES This Fall
Minneapolis, MN — September 16, 2004 – Activision Value Publishing, a division of Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), announced today that it has teamed with game developer WXP and paintball legend Greg Hastings to create the first-ever paintball game for a major video game console – Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball for the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft. This groundbreaking single and multiplayer game combines the strategy and teamwork of a sports title with the fast-paced intensity of a first-person action game. Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball will be available this fall and is currently rated "RP" by the ESRB.
Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball's unparalleled gameplay delivers a thrilling and realistic paintball experience through the integration of more than 21 licensed pro-players, actual tournament fields, top authentic paintball gear, and design input directly from the pros. The game captures all the true nuances of the sport with high-energy, strategy, teamwork, angles, manoeuvrability and accuracy. "It's an intense rush. I haven't had this much fun in a long time," said Matt "Zyos" Leto (Halo Champion – World Cyber Games; Seoul, Korea).
With participation in the sport of paintball having exceeded 9.8 million players in 2003 and having increased every year since 1998, according to the National Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA), Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball will fill a void for avid paintball enthusiasts and casual video gamers of all ages.
The single player game introduces gamers to the world of Paintball as they would be introduced to the sport in real life, starting out as a rookie on recreational fields with basic skills and equipment. As the player progresses he or she will discover a realistic, robust Paintball simulation at every level. As top equipment is paramount in the real paintball world, new upgrades can be purchased from a selection of over 100 licensed products using the winnings earned from tournament play. By the time the player advances to Pro, he or she can purchase all of the most cutting edge gear available to the real-life professional player. Players can move from rookie all the way to pro before heading to play against real players in multiplayer mode; or they can try their hand at jumping right into multiplayer mode.
The multiplayer game offers both system link and Xbox™ Live play. With 20 unique locations, 179 different field layouts, and hundreds of possible game configurations, there's plenty of replayability. Exercise full control over your online game experience through detailed OptiMatch game preferences. Communicate with your teammates using Xbox Live voicechat to coordinate strategy and identify opponent positions on the fly. With up to 14 players, experience the true ferocity of 7-on-7 tournament play.
- 3 game types to play – Elimination, Capture the Flag, Center Flag
- Quick Look – head movement without body shift
- Cheat Meter – try to wipe paint without getting caught
- Switch marker hands from left to right
- Snap left/ right/ up – snap in and out or up and down behind bunkers to hide and shoot
- Stance and mobility based targeting system – shooting accuracy changes based on stance & movement
14 top pro paintball players, including:
- Greg "Red" Hastings
- Rocky Cagnoni
- Chris LaSoya
- Nicky Cuba
- Keely Watson
- Lisa Harvey
- Alex Fraige
25 real-life paintball sponsors to provide an authentic experience, including:
- And many, many more
Real-life paintball fields and tournament locations, including:
- Huntington Beach Open in California
- Island Open in Aruba
- SC Village in Los Angeles
- Single player Career & Arcade modes
- Career Mode:
- 9 tournaments to play
- 98 different field layouts
- Play against up to 80 different opponent teams, including 69 real life teams
- Advance from rookie to novice to amateur to pro
- Build your team from 3-man to 5-man to 7-man & choose from 32 unique players
- Gain experience points and increase your character's skills, including speed, accuracy, marker handling, and reload ability with each win
- Earn money and prizes from tournament wins
- Buy new gear at online virtual Paintball stores
- Choose from ten categories of gear to outfit your character, with up to 145 pieces of gear and clothing, such as: markers, goggles, jerseys, shoes, etc
- Arcade Mode:
- Choose from any level or field where you have previously won and choose to play it again for practice or just for fun without damaging your ranking.
- Xbox Live – Optimatch, Quickmatch, Friends, Detailed Statistics
- All gear and all levels open to all players. Not dependent on single player game.
- System Link enabled
- Communicate on the field with the use of Xbox voice communicator
- Play on-line with up to 7-on-7 team play
- Customize your own character or select from 21 pro characters to play
- 20 unique locations to play
- 179 different field layouts, including small and large field sizes
Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball offers the most complete and realistic paintball experience without taking a paintball to the chest. This fast, intense and dynamic game offers players a truly exhilarating sporting experience incorporating all the most integral elements of actual paintball action. With real pros, authentic venues, sponsors and equipment, Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball is the cornerstone of a new franchise and genre in the sporting games market.
For more information about Greg Hastings' Tournament Paintball, visit the Action Village web site at www.ghtp.actionvillage.com.
WXP, Inc., "The Whole Experience" creates state of the art entertainment software for game consoles, PCs and theme park attractions. Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, the team of veteran designers, artists and programmers forges compelling entertainment built upon cutting edge in-house technology.
Founded in 1997, WXP remains an independent game developer whose last game, "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" went Platinum on the Xbox® Video Game System from Microsoft.
Xbox (http://www.xbox.com) is the video game system from Microsoft that brings people together for the most exhilarating game and entertainment experiences. Xbox delivers an expansive collection of breakthrough games, powerful hardware and the unified Xbox Live online service. The new tagline, "it's good to play together," captures the spirit of Xbox as the social hub of the new digital entertainment lifestyle. Xbox is now available in North America, Asia, Europe and Australia. About Xbox Live Xbox Live, which launched in the United States Nov. 15, 2002, allows gamers to play multiplayer Xbox games with other gamers everywhere via a broadband connection. With a built-in hard drive and Ethernet port, the Xbox console is the only video game system built from the ground up for online gaming, negating the need to buy additional, costly peripherals or upgrades. Xbox Live enables gamers to easily find their friends; talk to other players during game play through the Xbox Communicator headset; download current statistics, new levels and characters to their Xbox hard drive; and play online, all exclusive features to Xbox Live.
About Activision, Inc. Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Activision, Inc. is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and leisure products. Founded in 1979, Activision posted net revenues of $948 million for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2004.
Activision maintains operations in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Australia, Scandinavia and the Netherlands. More information about Activision and its products can be found on the company's World Wide Web site, which is located at www.activision.com.