MAJOR LEAGUE GAMING UNVEILS PARTNERSHIPS AND PROGRAMMING INITIATIVES TO BRING PROFESSIONAL VIDEO GAMING TO THE MASSES
Boost Mobile Signs Multi-Year Deal As Title Sponsor; Scion Drives Away With 2006 Presenting Sponsorship
MLG’s Pro Circuit To Reach Millions through Airings on USA Network and the Boost Mobile Network, in Addition to 24/7 Access at MLGpro.com
The “Boost Mobile Major League Gaming Pro Circuit presented by Scion” Kicks off This Weekend at the Meadowlands; Travels to Seven U.S. Cities This Year
NEW YORK CITY—APRIL 17, 2006— Major League Gaming (MLG), the first professional video game league, today announced major sponsorship and programming deals that will catapult professional video gaming into the mainstream. Details of the partnerships include an agreement to air the entire pro circuit on USA Network, the top-rated basic cable network in America, in seven one-hour long episodes during the holiday season.
By raising video game competition to the level of professional sport and packaging the competition for the mass market, MLG is opening up new opportunities for consumers, game publishers, and media partners to connect with highly targeted, engaged and loyal consumers.
“After three years of grassroots initiatives to build a credible, authentic professional video game league, MLG is now on the threshold of truly breaking through to the mass market,” said Mike Sepso, co-founder and CEO of MLG. “The time is right for a full fledged sports media business dedicated solely to creating the next major league sport in America, and attracting top-notch sponsors and major network partners can only accelerate the MLG phenomenon.”
- Boost Mobile, a leading youth lifestyle brand, has signed a multi-year title sponsorship deal with MLG, which includes a partnership to distribute exclusive MLG content on Boost Mobile® phones. In addition, MLG pros will use the Boost™ phones equipped with Boost™ walkie-talkie service to instantly communicate with their teammates during the events.
- Scion has committed to a Presenting sponsorship with MLG for the 2006 Season, and will award the “most improved” player on the 2006 MLG pro circuit a limited-production Scion xB Release Series 3.0 at the culmination of the season.
- Boost and Scion have also signed on to be presenting sponsors for the MLG Pro Invasion Bus Tour, which will kick off in the summer and make 100 stops around the country. The Tour features MLG pros traveling across the U.S. in search of the next generation of professional gamers.
Broad distribution of Major League Gaming programming:
- League programming, available at MLGpro.com all year long, will culminate in seven one-hour episodes that will air on the USA Network during the holiday season, the key retail season for the video game industry.
- Major League Gaming will offer original content to Boost Mobile customers, which include more than 2.6 million people. Boost customers will have exclusive access to video highlights and player profiles from the Pro Circuit presented throughout the year.
Live events and prize money:
- The first event of the “Boost Mobile Major League Gaming Pro Circuit presented by Scion” is this Friday through Sunday, April 21-23, at the Meadowlands in Secaucus, NJ. The tournament kicks off at 5:00pm on Friday and the championship events are held on Sunday (doors open at 10:00am on Saturday and Sunday). Attendance is free and is on a first come, first serve basis. Door prizes will be given out daily, including a fully loaded Xbox 360. Early registration at mlgpro.com will help ensure a reserved seat.
- The pro circuit will also travel to Dallas (May), Atlanta (June), Los Angeles (July) and Philadelphia (August). The playoffs will be held in Chicago (October) and the National Championships will be held in Las Vegas (November).
- Over $800,000 in cash and prizes will be awarded to winning teams and players throughout the year.
- The “most improved” player of the circuit will win a limited-production 2006 Scion xB Release Series 3.0.
About MLG (Major League Gaming)
MLG is the first professional video game league. By raising video game competition to the level of professional sport, the company is creating a sports media business that provides players, developers, publishers, media partners, and advertisers a unique connection to the video game lifestyle enjoyed by 168 million Americans. With the support of major sponsors, MLG operates a pro tour that in 2006 will make 7 stops in major cities across the U.S., exclusively featuring the best gamers in the world. We produce a variety of online and broadcast-quality programming that showcases MLG’s Pros and this exciting new sports entertainment phenomenon. More information can be found at www.mlgpro.com. More information can be found at www.mlgpro.com.
MLG 2006 pro tour dates: New York (April 21-23); Dallas (May); Atlanta (June); Los Angeles (July), Philadelphia (August); Playoffs—Chicago (October); National Championship—Las Vegas (November).